Let's Turn this Foam into Carpet Padding
- These bales of foam are ready for their next life as commercial carpet padding.
Where does my old mattress go?
OPEN MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY - SCHEDULE YOUR MATTRESS PICK-UP TODAY
Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester Counties, South Carolina Only
BedShred.com, an initiative of Charleston Mattress®, is committed to keeping your old mattress out of landfills through aggressive recycling and disposal procedures. Every discarded mattress is destroyed and recycled, meaning components are never refurbished or reused in bedding again. The effort is in collaboration with Nine Lives Recycling in Pamplico, SC, where the materials are stored and processed. Since launching in July 2015, our efforts have helped keep over 100,000 mattresses and boxsprings out of landfills.
The Charleston Area's Only TRUE Mattress Recycler
Mattresses are a Huge Problem for Landfills
Many national retailers are only offering one-sided mattresses and directing consumers to replace them more often. Landfills are also seeing an influx of returned mattresses from online retailers. The compaction rate of a discarded mattress is 400% less than regular garbage. A cubic yard of compacted garbage typically weighs between 1,500 and 1,800 lbs. A cubic yard of compacted mattresses weighs about 250 lbs. and can leave voids in the ground.
BedShred never wants to see something that’s reusable, like steel, buried forever. However, recycling mattresses is a difficult and arduous process, and there have been numerous failed attempts. We’re willing to take the lead on this in South Carolina, and we’re excited about repurposing these materials instead of adding unnecessary waste to the environment.
VIEW OUR SLIDE SHOW BELOW OR CLICK HERE TO SEE PICTURES OF THE PROCESS
Off to the Scrap Yard
- This much steel should never end up in a landfill. These coils will be smelted down using traditional steel recycling techniques. There are millions of uses for recycled steel.
- Wood from boxsprings is untreated and offered for free to the local community for various projects.
- After processing eight tractor trailer loads of mattresses and boxsprings, this is all that's left as compacted waste for the landfill.
Schedule Your Pick-Up
- BedShred has helped keep over 100,000 mattresses out of landfills since July 2015. Thank you for supporting our mission.