Let's Turn this Foam into Carpet Padding
- These bales of foam are ready for their next life as commercial carpet padding.
Where does my old mattress go?
Service available for Charleston County (South Carolina) and Daniel Island (29492).
At BedShred.com, our unwavering dedication lies in preventing your old mattresses and boxsprings from ending up in landfills. We achieve this by employing rigorous recycling and disposal methods. Each discarded item undergoes thorough destruction and recycling, ensuring that their components are never refurbished or reintroduced into bedding materials. This initiative is carried out in partnership with Nine Lives Recycling in Pamplico, South Carolina, where materials are stored and processed. Since our inception in July 2015, our collective efforts have successfully diverted millions of pounds of mattresses and boxsprings away from nearby landfills.
The Charleston Area's Only TRUE Mattress Recycler
Mattresses are a Huge Problem for Landfills
Many national retail chains now exclusively offer single-sided mattresses and encourage consumers to replace them more frequently. Additionally, landfills are experiencing an influx of returned mattresses from online retailers. It's important to note that discarded mattresses have a compaction rate significantly lower than regular waste—approximately 400% less. Typically, a cubic yard of compacted garbage weighs between 1,500 and 1,800 pounds, while a cubic yard of compacted mattresses weighs only about 250 pounds, creating voids in the ground.
At BedShred, we are resolute in our commitment to prevent valuable materials like steel from being buried indefinitely. While mattress recycling is a challenging and labor-intensive process with many previous unsuccessful attempts, we are eager to take the lead in South Carolina. Our enthusiasm lies in repurposing these materials rather than contributing to unnecessary environmental waste.
VIEW OUR SLIDE SHOW BELOW OR CLICK HERE TO SEE PICTURES OF THE PROCESS
Off to the Scrap Yard
- This much steel should never end up in a landfill. These coils will be smelted down using traditional steel recycling techniques. There are millions of uses for recycled steel.
- Wood from boxsprings is untreated and offered for free to the local community for various projects.
- After processing eight tractor trailer loads of mattresses and boxsprings, this is all that's left as compacted waste for the landfill.
Schedule Your Pick-Up
- BedShred has helped keep over 100,000 mattresses out of landfills since July 2015. Thank you for supporting our mission.